The Alexander Institute of Biblical Studies Inc., registration for the next class session , Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014. Registration will be held at the School Facility 1556 N.W. Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Winter session will began Feb. 1, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 12 noon. For more info call (954) 485-7649, or (954) 629-6031. Dr. Lorraine M. Alexander.
* Happenings at African-AmericanHappenings at African-American
2014 Black History Month Art and Essay Competition at AARLCC this January 2014. The competition’s official entry form will be available at all branches of the Broward Coun-ty Library. The form provides details on the essay’s length and artwork requirements. All submissions must be original work by the students. The en-tries must be delivered to the African-American Research Library and Cultural Center by 6 p.m. on Friday, January 31, 2014.Students living in, or going to school in, Broward County, in grades 4-12 are invited to submit an original essay and/or a visual artwork to the African-American Re-search Library and Cultural Center (AARLCC). The com-petition will be divided into three categories: grades 4-6, grades 7-9, and grades 10-12. Contest winners will be awarded prizes (sponsored by Best Buy) in February as a celebration of Black History Month. For more info contact any Broward County Library, or visit broward.org/library.
King of Foods Inc., presents The Fifth Annual BBQ Fest, Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014 from 2 to 6 p.m., at Eucalyptus Gar-dens, 2430 N.E. 13 Ave., Wilton Manors, Fla. To purchase tic-kets www.kingoffoods.com Email: Khunter@kingoffoods.com for more info.
The Pompano Beach MLK, Jr. Committee is teaming up with our regular event. We will have extended hours & vendors will be free for our CRA Group, Jr. Committee is sponsoring a rib cooking contest and a bake-off, Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014 from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., at Gills Park across from the Pat Larkins Center, 520 N.W. Third St., Pompano Beach, Fla.
The Panther Family requests the honor of your presence at a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the Inaugural Celebration of Dillard High 6-12, Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014 at 4 p.m., at 2501 N.W. 11 St.., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Cassandra D. Robinson, principal. For more info call (754) 322-0848.
* West Perrine MLK Event CalendaWest Perrine MLK Event Calenda
· Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014 – 33rd Annual MLK Breakfast, at 7:30 a.m., at Doubletree Hotel, 711 N.W. 72 Ave., Miami, Fla. (Invitation only). For more info call (305) 261-3800.
· Friday, Jan. 17 – MLK Business Expo, from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m., at Palmetto Bay Village Center, 18001 Old Cutler Rd at SW 184 St. (Eureka Dr.), Palmetto Bay, Fla. Free event for the community.
· Saturday, Jan. 18 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., 33rd Annual Holiday Parade, at 10 a.m., starting from Homestead Ave. and Banyan St. heading South on Homestead Ave. to SW 184 St., (Eureka Dr.), head West to SW 107 Ave., Miami, Fla.
· Saturday, Jan. 18 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Chicks n Wings “Battle of the Bands”, at 1 p.m., at Southridge Stadium, 11250 S.W. 192 St., Miami, Fla. For further info contact (305) 253-8189.
Clark-Atlanta University South Florida Alumni Association, meeting, Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 at 4 p.m., at Piccadilly Restaurant, 4500 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, Fla. For additional info contact Reeta Mills at (954) 454-3404.
Tampa Black Heritage Music Festival, Saturday, Jan. 18 & 19, 2014, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park 600 N. Ashley Dr, Tampa. Fla.
* Celebration Celebration
The Town of Davie is holding its Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Outing Celebration, Sunday, Jan. 19, 2014 from 1 to 4 p.m., at 4300 S.W. 57 Terr., Davie, Fla. For poetry contest info and/or an application, call (954) 797-1166 or visit our website at www.davie-fl.gov.
* Greek Unity Day Greek Unity Day
Mount Hermon AME Church cordially invites all Greek lettered organizations, and the entire community, to our 20th Annual Greek Unity Day Observance. The speaker will be the Rev. Dr. John F. Green, President of Turner Theological Seminary; The Interdenominational Theological Center, Atlanta, Ga. He is a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. The program will be held on Sunday, Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:45 a.m. at Mount Hermon AME Church, 401 N.W. Seventh Terr., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. For additional in-formation call at (954) 463-6309. The pastor of Mount Hermon AME Church is the Rev. Henry E. Green, Jr.
Friday Night Tunes a concert series at Joseph C. Carter Park, from 7 to 10 p.m., at 1450 W. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Enjoy a FREE concert series with a broad range of musical varieties featuring a different live performer each month! Bring your chairs, picnic blankets, and snacks to relax under the stars. From jazz to Top 40, the Friday Night Tunes has it all.
* Thursday, Jan. 17 – Randy Corinthian (Jazz)
* Thursday, Feb. 21 – Sassy Singz (R&B and Top 40)
* Friday, March 21 – Shawn Kelly (Neo Soul and Old School Covers) EnVee (soft and jazz)
* Friday, April 18 – Nio Devine (Jazz and Neo Soul)
* Friday, May 16 – Lavie (Top 40)
For more info visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/friday or call (954) 828-5363
The community is invited to attend the upcoming Student Success Opportunity School (SSOS) Symposiums. These symposiums provide opportunity for the District to present information, gather input and answer questions about SSOS. The first symposium will be held Jan. 23, 2014 at Atlantic Technical Center, Arthur Ashe Jr. Campus, 1701 N.W. 23 Ave., Fort Lauderdale. Schools included: Broward Estates, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Rock Island, Royal Palm and West-wood Heights Schools.
SSOS is a strategic initiative by BCPS to review the performance of schools utilizing a variety of criteria, such as student academic performance (as indicated by FCAT scores), school enrollment, school climate, facilities and other local factors. Through the SSOS process, discussions are held regarding the educational options available for students that are sustainable and promote increased achievement.
All meetings take place in the school auditorium/cafeteria and begin at 6 p.m. For more infon on SSOS, visit http://browardschools.com/BCPS-Spotlights/Student-Success-Opportunity-Schools.
Florida International University’s Office of Multicultural Programs and Services will honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., at FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus, (MMC), 11200 S.W. Eight St., Southwest Miami-Dade County.
* MLK @The Frost is a series of exhibits featuring artwork that embodies and illustrates the realities and ideals of the civil rights movement that will take place from Jan. 8-31.
* Friday, Jan. 24 – MLK Movie Night, from 5 to 8 p.m., in Room 140 of the Graham Center at MMC. The movie is free and open to the public.
* Thursday, Jan. 30 – The MLK Law Lecture “Race and Justice”, from 5 to 7 p.m., in Room 150 of the Graham Cent-er, Free and open to the community. For more info call (305) 348-2436.
On Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 at 3 p.m., Professor Edmund Abaka, director of African Studies at the University of Miami, will speak on Nelson Mandela: The Man and His Legacy at the African American Research Library and Cultural Center (AARLCC), 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
The American Legion Post 220, will be having different fundraising drives to fund The American Legion and Auxiliary programs, Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Post, 1445 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Announcing the first Bro-ward Youth Coalition Program Volunteer Orientation, Thurs-day, Jan. 30, 2014 at 6 p.m., at the United Way of Broward County, 1300 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. RSVP by Jan. 27. Refreshments will be served. The BYC needs people like you! You’ll make a big difference as you work with others to create a feeling of connectedness in your community, to solve the problems closest to home – or better yet, prevent them. Become a vital part of the BYC Program and share your special talents to make a difference in the lies of the children and families in our community. For questions, contact Sam Monroe at (954) 453-3747 or firstname.lastname@example.org