Bring It! LIVE, Dollhouse Dance Factory on Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 8 p.m., at Broward Center for the Performing Arts, 201 S.W. Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. For cost and additional info call (954) 462-0222.
* Scholarship OpportunitiesScholarship Opportunities
SFTAC/South Florida Tuskegee Alumni Club is offering scholarship opportunities to incoming freshmen or students presently enrolled at Tuskegee University.Application information can be accessed by contacting President Oscar Braynon:firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadine for submission is July 1, 2017. Mail completed packets to: SFTAC Scholarship Committee C/O Gregory Gay PO Box 451516 Sunrise, Fla. 33345
The Miramar AMP Grand Opening Fourth of July 2017 FREE Concert on Tuesday, July 4, 2017 from 3 to 9 p.m., at Miramar Regional Park, 16801 Miramar Pkwy., Miramar, Fla. For parking and additional info call (954) 602-3325.
Join Vice Mayor Erhabor Ighodaro and Representatives From The City of Miami Gar-dens for e-UNI’TEAA Virtual Town Hall Meeting on Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 6 p.m., at AJ King Park, 4230 N.W. 178 St., Miami Gardens, Fla. For more info call (305) 914-9186.
* Happenings at African-AmericanHappenings at African-American
* Mondays in July, 2017
Adult Literacy Classes, from 5 – 7:30 p.m., for more info call (954) 357-6157
* Saturday, July 8
”Zumba,” – Build A Better Body, from 10:15 a.m. – 12 p.m.
* Saturday, July 8
Writer’s workshop, from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Build a better book, bring pen and paper and learn about fiction writing skills. Call for reservations ar (954) 357-6170.
* Saturday, July 15
Hurricane Preparedness Infor-mation, fom 11 a.m. – 2:15 p.m. How to prepare your family, pets, and property for all haz-ards including hurricanes, other severe weather incidents, fire, and unexpected disaster.
* Tuesday, July 18
South Florida Book Festival at 6:30 p.m. Sample delicious Caribbean fare with PBS’ Chef Irie and Chef Thia. They are the authors and stars from the Taste the Islands Cooking Series featuring Caribbean Fare. Costs a mere $10. payable at the door or through Event-brite.
* Monday, July 31
Business Seminar: 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. Grant Writing 101.
Free Computer Classes
Pre-registration is required due to limited seating. Call (954) 357-6236. Registration begins 6 days prior to each scheduled class.
* Saturday, July 08 Microsoft Excel I, from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
* Saturday, July 29 Computer Literacy I, from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m
Call Youth Services Dept. (YS) at (954) 357-6209 if you have any questions about the following programs and to pre-register if needed. Additional details provided on July YS Flyer.
* Monday, Jul 10, 17 & 24
”MITI Mondays from 2-3:30 p.m. in YS Dept. Make some “wacky” fun stuff using magnets. Create a “Mosaic Sun-catchers” with recycle crayons. Learn how to create velvet posters and pinky rings. Call for details and to reserve a space. Ages 8 and up (younger kids may participate if accompanied by adult caregiver).
* Wednesday, July 5
”Hour of Code-Minecraft” from 1- 2 p.m. Explore Minecraft with code. For more info call.
* Wednesday, July 12, 19 & 26 ”Wellness Wednesdays” weekly, from 4 – 5 pm. Topics: eating right, keeping fit and emotional well-being. Ages 8 and up. Call for details and to pre-register.
* Thursday, July 6, 13, 20 & 27 ”Sew Crafty” from 1-3 p.m., make useful fabric crafts. Ages 6-10, class limited to 10. Call to pre-register.
* Friday, July 7, 14, 21 & 28 ”Friday Family Fun Day” from 1 – 3 p.m. all ages. Enjoy classic board, card games and the console gaming systems.
* Tuesday, July 11 & 25
”Building Competition w/ Steven the Builder” 2 – 3 p.m. Ages 6 and up. Create your own unique building using various items from Legos to wooden blocks. Win prizes for tallest and most creative struc-ture.
* Tuesday, July 11, 18 & 25 ”Tech Tuesdays,” from 3 – 5 p.m. Learn various technologies from robotics to coding. Ages 8 and up. For more info, call the YS Dept.
* Wednesday, July 12, 19 & 26 ”Hour of Code-Drawing with Code” from 1- 2 p.m. Participate in a variety of projects using various languages. Call for more info.
* Saturday, July 15
”Wags & Tales” from 2- 3 p.m. Read to Augy, a four-legged friend in YS Program Room. Call for more info.
* Tuesday, July 18
”Little Learners Storytime” at 10:30 a.m., Parents and care-givers are invited to bring children aged 3 – 5 to this story time. Groups with 10 or more children, please pre-register.
This summer, For a Healthier Summer will bring the Broward Health Mobile Unit to the neighborhood parks of the Broward Municipal Services District on select weekdays. The initiative, presented in conjunction with Broward Health, will provide free HIV and hepatitis C testing, health-care assessments, and other health services to all ages. The bus will be available based on the following schedule. For more info call the park of your choice.
* Wednesday, July 5, 2017 from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Rev. Samuel Delevoe Park, 2520 N.W. Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. For more info call (954) 357-8801.
* Monday, July 10, from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Franklin Park, 2501 Franklin Dr., For more info call (954) 357-7080.
* Wednesday, July 12, from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Roosevelt Gardens.
* Wednesday, July 19, from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Lafayette Hart.
* Friday, July 21, from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Sunview Park, 1500 S.W. 42 Ave. For more info call (954) 357-6520
* Volunteer Community Cleanup on Saturday, July 15, 2017 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., at Boulevard Gardens Community Center, 313 N.W. 28 Terr., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. For more contact Rev. Jesse Scipio at (954) 592-8901.
Schools Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho, District re-presentatives, vendors, students, and parents invite the public to a Back-To-School Health Family Fair on Saturday, July 8, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Fair Expo Center, 10901 S.W. 24 St., Mia-mi, Fla. Parents may request school uniform assistance by registering and bringing the following information: Copy of student’s most recent report card; parents ID. For more info call (305) 995-1913.
* Reunion CelebrationReunion Celebration
St. Luke Baptist Church 100th Anniversary. Join a week of Family Reunion Celebration on Monday, July 10 thru Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 7 p.m., at St. Luke Baptist Church, 210 N.W. Sixth Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The community is invited to worship with us throughout the month of Sept-ember as we bring the 100th Anniversary to a close on the Fourth Sunday in September still under the leadership of Rev. W.J. Gaskins, pastor for 23 years. For cost/ additional info contact Hattie at (954) 735-0404 or Linda at (954) 791-1701.
July is National Minority Mental Health Month. All events will be held at Urban League West Palm Beach Headquarters,700 N Australian Ave, West Palm Beach, Fla.
* Thursday, July 13, 2017 from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., -“Maternal Mental Health Lunch & Learn Twitter Chat @dmenpowers /#Mindset.
* Thursday, July 20 from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., -“Multi-cultural Myths” Lunch & Learn Twitter Chat @dmempowers/#Mindset
* Monday, July 24 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. – Mental Health Masterclass
* Sunday, July 30 – from 3 to 4 p.m., – “Fearless Faith: Body, Mind, & Spirit” Twitter Chat @dmempowers/Mindset
Lauderhill Vice Mayor Ken Thurston hosts a Grant Writing Seminar on Thursday, July 13, 2017 from 6 to 8 p.m., at City Hall, City Hall, 5581 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Oakland Park, Fla. call (954) 357-6580. Jan Sullivan will be the guest speaker, and light refreshment will be served. For additional info call (954) 777-2040.
On Saturday, July 15, 2017 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., at The PATCH Farm and Market, 1201 W. Dania Beach Blvd., Dania Beach, Fla. The PATCH Urban Farm and Market will celebrate the onset of summertime with a free family-fun event at the PATCH. For more info call (954) 924-6801.
Join Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, July 15, 2017 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., for the Fifth annual Smoke on the Water BBQ Feast Competition at Esplanade Park, 400 S.W. Second St., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. This event is FREE to attend and open to ages. For additional info call (954) 468-1541.
* Mobile UnitMobile Unit
Broward Health Mobile Unit, this summer, For a Healthier Summer will bring the Broward Health Mobile Unit to the neighborhood parks of the Broward Municipal Services District on select weekdays. The initiative, presented in con-junction with Broward Health, will provide FREE HIV and hepatitis C testing, health-care assessments, and other health services to all ages. The bus will be available based on the following schedule. For more info call the park of your choice.
* Wednesday, July 12 – from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Roosevelt Gardens, 2841 N.W. 11 St., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
*Wednesday, July 19 – from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Lafayette Hart, 2851 N.W. Eighth Rd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
*Friday, July 21- from 10:30 a.m.to 6:30 p.m., at Sunview Park, 1500 S.W. 42 Ave. For more info call (954) 357-6520.
*Wednesday, Aug. 2 – from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at 10:30 a.m.t o 6:30 p.m., at Delevoe Park, 2520 N.W. Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
* Monday, Aug. 7 – from 10:30 a.m.to 6:30 p.m., at Franklin Park, 2501 Franklin Park, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
* Thursday, Aug. 10 – from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Lafayette Hart Park, at Franklin Park, 2851 N.W. Eighth Rd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
* Wednesday, Aug. 20- from 11:30 a.m.to 7:30 p.m., at Sun-view Park, 1500 S.W. 42 Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Live Art With Yvette Michelle Booth on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 8 p.m. at the W Hotel Fort Lauderdale in the Living Room, 401 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
The Broward County Office of Economic and Small Business Development (OESBD) presents this NACo Achievement Award-winning training program to provide small business and economic development support and technical assistance to the local business community. All courses will be held from 3 to 4:30 p.m. (unless otherwise noted) on Wednesday at the Broward County Govern-mental Center, 115 S. Andrews Ave., Room 302, Fort Lauder-dale, Fla.
· Doing Business with the Transportation Department on Thursday, July 20, 3 to 5 p.m., at North Regional/Broward College Library: 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, Fla.
Riviera Beach Minority Mental Health Awareness Month-Decriminalizing Mental Illness 2017 Call to Action Luncheon on Thursday, July 20, at 11:30 a.m., at Rivera Beach Marina Event Center, 190 E. 13 St., Rivera Beach, Fla.
Couples Speak-A-Paloosa Competition on Thursday, July 20, 2017 from 7 to 9 p.m., at 2040 N. Dixie Highway, Wilton Manors, Fla. The format for couples is the same as the Newlywed game. For singles it is the Dating Game. For more info call (954) 683-6619.
Black Police Precinct & Courthouse Museum honors those who blazed the Trail for African Americans in Law Enforcement on Saturday, July 22, at 4 p.m., at the Museum, 480 N.W. 11 St., Miami, Fla. For more info contact Stephanie van Vark at (305) 710-2212.
The Historic Ali Cultural Arts in Pompano Beach is proud to present two legendary artists for a night of unforgettable music and history on Saturday, July 22, 6 to 10 p.m., at 353 MLK Blvd., Pompano Beach, Fla. For tickets and additional info call (954) 786-7876.
The Kiwanis Club of Central Broward is sponsoring a Fish & Grits Breakfast on Saturday, July 22, 8:00 to 10:30 a.m., at West Ken Lark Park, 1321 N.W. 33 Ave. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
FLO4YOU!” Experience & Spoken Words Workshop on Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 1 p.m., at Broward Center for the Performing Arts, 201 S.W. Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. For cost and additional info call (954) 462-0222.
The Friends of Southwest Regional Library will host a Book Fair on Saturday, July 22, 2017 with gently used magazines, hardcover and paperback books for adults and children, books on CD and more, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., at 16835 Sheridan Street, Pembroke Pines. For more info call (954) 357-6580.
The Leadership Prep Foundation Inc. former outstanding athletic coaches and student athletes who graduated from George Washington Carver, Arthur and Polly Mays, and Coral Gables Senior high school (post segregation era), will be inducted into the inaugural Coconut Creek Sports Hall of Fame Ceremony. The Hall of Fame Event will coincide with the 39th annual Coconut Grove Miami Bahamas Junkanoo Festival. The festival event begins on Thursday, July 23, and continues through Saturday, July 25.
During the period of school integration African American athletes and coaches paved the way with extraordinary athletic achievements that went mostly unrecognized. On July 24, 30 selected honorees will be announced at the breakfast event. The breakfast Sports Hall of Fame Ceremoinal Event will take place at the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel in Coconut Grove on Friday, July 24, 2017 from 8:15 – 10:30 a.m. To purchase even tickets and to learn more about the Hall of Fame Ceremony visit on the Web at www.leadershipprepfoundation.org and click on the Grove Sports Hall of Fame.
For more info contact Anthony Witherspoon Sr., chair at 1-(404) 505-8554 or by email at email@example.com
SDA Olympics and Health Fair on Sunday, July 23, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at Joseph C. Carter Park, 1450 W. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. A family fun event to raise community awareness about wellness and health resources. For more info contact Jennifer Bartley at (954) 856-9331.
Post Session Town Hall 2017 will be held on Tuesday, July 25, 6:30 p.m., at Gaines Park, 1501 N. Australian Ave., West Palm Beach, Fla. For more info call (561) 650-6846.
Commissioner Dale Holness upcoming community happenings
* Broward Municipal Services District (BMSD) Employment Resources Workshop on Thursday, July 27, 2017 from 9 to 11 a.m., at African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
* The YMCA and Florida Blue Back to School Extravaganze on Saturday, July 29, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at 545 5 N.W. 19 St., Lauderhill, Fla. FREE EVENT.
For more info call (954) 496-5428.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is accepting nominations for the 2016-2017 Citizens Recognition Awards Nominations may be submitted online at www.fortlauderdale.gov.ccr by Friday, July 28, 2017 at 5 p.m. Paper copies of the nomination form are also available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call (954) 828-4746. The Citizens Recognition Awards recognize Fort Lauderdale citizens whose efforts and achievements foster civic pride and responsibility, encourage public service, develop and appreciation of the City’s heritage, and significantly contribute to the development of the community. Award categories include Honored Founders, Citizens of the Year, Distinguished Citizens, and Exemplary Former City Employee.
St. Mary Magdalene Health & Immunization Fair on Saturday, July 29, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., at St. Mary Magdalene Church, 1400 Riverside Dr., Coral Springs, Fla. This event is to immunize children for school and educate the community about health. For more info call Philippa Sunnergren at (954) 242-9310.
SunEd Community Back to School Event on Saturday, July 29, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at SunEd High School, 2360 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Oakland Park, Fla. This event will provide back to school immunizations and supplies. For more info call Kimberly Benton at (954) 294-0101.
Spiritual Health & Well-Being Event on Saturday, July 29, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Hallandale Beach Church of Christ, 305 N. Dixie Highway, Hallandale, Fla. This event is to inform the community about healthy lifestyle and health resources. For more info contact Madeline Phillips at (954) 610-1724 or Johnny Robinson at (954) 829-6690.