One Hand One Heart presents I Am Because God Say That I Am Women Empowerment Seminar, Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014 at 9 a.m., at 100 S.W. Ninth Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Register at www.1hand1heart.com
* Happenings at African-AmericanHappenings at African-American
Please call the Youth Services Desk for info on programs and services for children and teens.”
· Tuesday, Nov. 18, 25, from 10:30 to 11:15, Preschool Story Time Fun! Stories, finger plays, songs and crafts – youth service area.
· Saturday, Nov. 15 from 12 noon to 3 p.m., Celebrate International Games Day! Family game time fun – youth service area.
· Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 3 to 5 p.m., Free Homework Help available for students grades K thru 12. (Only homework and educational games are allowed on Children’s and Teens’ computers during Homework Help hours.) For more info call (954) 357-6157.
· Saturday, Nov. 8, 22, 2014 at 2 p.m., Kheprera Study Group: Featured book African Holistic Health by Llaila O. Afrika. For more info call (954) 357-5950.
· Monday, Nov. 10, at 4 p.m., an afternoon with Dr. Rosalind Osgood. Third in the Culture Keepers Series moderated by Dr. Tameka Hobbs, Ph.D. Assistant Professor of History at Florida Memorial University
· Saturday, Nov. 15, from 1 to 5 p.m., The Mocombeian Foundation’s 2nd Annual Reading Night. The foundation’s mission is “Teaching Reading Strategically”.
Free Computer Classes Schedule – pre-registration is required for all classes. Call (954) 357-6236, due to limited seating, registration begins (6) six days prior to each scheduled class. Pre-registered students are asked to arrive 15 min. before class to check in. **Please bring a storage device (such as thumb drive) if you wish to save your work**
The following classes are funded by the Broward Public Library Foundation
· Thursday, Nov. 6, from 10:30 to 12 noon, Resume Writing I
· Thursday, Nov. 13, from 10:30 to 12 noon, Resume Writing II
· Wednesday, Nov. 19, from 6 to 7:30 p.m., Computer Literacy, I
· Thursday, Nov. 20, from 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon, Computer Literacy I
Broward Health Supplier Diversity Business & Health Expo, Friday, Nov. 7, 2014 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., at Signature Grand, 6900 W. State Rd. 84, Davie, Fla. There’s a registration, parking and breakfast fee. Register, space is limited at BrowardHealth.org/sdexpo. For additional info call (305) 762-6151 or (305) 971-9446.
Youth for Christ Outreach Ministry Inc., Pastor D. Fraizer, November Fest, Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014 from 12 to 3 p.m., at 675 N.W. 22 Rd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Free games, food, entertainment and Health screen. For additional info call (954) 581-5603.
Elite Pink Miami presents Pink Gala Benefit Gala, Sun-day, Nov. 9, 2014 from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m., at Hyatt Regency, 50 Alhambra Plaza, Coral Gables, Fla. For more info or to purchase tickets call (786) 285-8417 or visit www.elitepinkmiami.com
To honor the men and women who serve in the United Stated Armed Forces, the Pride of Fort Lauderdale, Elks Lodge #652 and the Daughters of Temple #395 will be hosting its annual Veterans Day event, Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2014 at 11 a.m., at 712 N.W. Second St., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. For more info call (954) 463-7474.
District 5 School Board Representative Dr. Rosalind Osgood presents Anti-Bullying Community Forum, Friday, Nov. 14, 2014 at 6:30 p.m., at Parkway Middle School Auditorium, 3600 N.W. Fifth Court, Lauderhill, Fla. Mr. Brad Mattair, principal.
* Yard SaleYard Sale
Bethel Apostolic Temple and The Bethel Temple C.D.C. invites the community to Ultimate Yard Sale, Saturday, Nov. 15, 2014 from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., at 1855 N.W. 119 St., Miami, Fla. For vendors there is a fee required for space to reserve your booth space and more info call (305) 688-1612.
* Yard SaleYard Sale
Thank you from the North-west Federated Woman’s Club Give Back Community Yard Sale for your support of our Club. Spaces are free on Saturday, Nov. 15, 2014 from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., at 2161 N.W. 19 St., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. To secure your space and additional call (954) 730-3442.
God’s Gift, Inc. Mentoring Program is now accepting applications for girls 7-17. This mentoring program focuses on self-esteem, etiquette, college/career prep, and leadership skills for African American girls 7-17. For more information and/or to receive a registration packet, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (954) 907-9101. Registration packets can also be picked up at Roosevelt Gardens Park.
Seminole Middle School is offering free tutoring for their students at the Jim Ward Center, Mondays and Wednesday from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. You must have your own transportation and the child must be a current student at Seminole. Contact Ms. Curry at (754) 323 4200, ext. 2012 for more info.
* Family Fun NightFamily Fun Night
Join us at the library and enjoy games, crafts and dinner on us! Bring your whole family, specially your children, Thurs-day, Nov. 20, 2014, from 6 to 7:30 p.m., at Tyrone Bryant Library, 2230 N.W. 21 Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. For more info call (954) 357-8210.
* Event at The New Mount Olive BEvent at The New Mount Olive B
· Annual Donation Day at Florida Memorial University (FMU), Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2014. If you are interested in at-tending or if you wish to make a donation to FMU, please do so by Nov. 16. Checks should be payable to Florida Memorial University, contact Sis. Elouise LeSane, Sis Carolyn Stephens, or Sis. Patricia Williams before the deadline, or contact the church at (954) 463-5126.
· Black Noel – The Fort Lauderdale African American Christmas Spectacular – Show Times Friday, Dec. 12 at 8 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 13, at 4 p.m., and 8 p.m., – Sunday, Dec. 14, at 4 p.m., 400 N.W. Ninth Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Tickets on sale now, to purchase call the church (954) 463-5126.
The City of Fort Lauderdale, to host 2014 Turkey Trot, Thursday, Nov. 27, 2014, registration at 6 a.m. and Run/Walk/Paddle at 7:30 at DC Alexander Park, 501 Fort Lauderdale Blvd., South of Las Olas on A1A.
* Love FeastLove Feast
P.H.P. is inviting Homeless & Indigent Individuals to fellowship with us the weekend after Thanksgiving for Thanks-giving Dinner, “Love Feast”, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2014 from 12 to 2 p.m., at Shaw Temple AME Zion Church, 522 N.W. Ninth Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Volunteers and donations are needed. For more info call (954) 527-0414.
* World AIDS Day Vigil 2014 World AIDS Day Vigil 2014
One in 88 individuals in Broward County are HIV+. In the United States, we have experienced 636,000 deaths of individuals with an AIDS diagnosis. At least, 1,155,792 live with HIV/AIDS in the US. Thousands still do not receive treatment due to a lack of information or the stigma that remains. Broward House and the Pride Center work alongside many community partners throughout the year to provide care, support and prevention.
On Sunday Nov. 30, 2014 at 7 p.m., our community will come together for our World AIDS Day Vigil. We will meet at Hagen Park and walk down Wilton Drive united in memory, healing and love. The candlelit walk will culminate at the Pride Center Pavilion for a few words of respectful remembrance, support, and continued vigilance. We invite the community to join us at Hagen Park to strengthen this tradition of hope and healing.