* Happenings at African-AmericanHappenings at African-American
African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Upcoming Destination Friday events: Sept. 4 – Hawaii and Nov. 6 – the Bahamas. For more info call (954) 357-6210.
* Film of bi-racial Belle, who nudged Great Britain into abolishing the slave trade – shown Saturday, Aug. 1, 2015 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more info call (954) 357-6210.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated Zeta Rho Omega Chapter cordially invites you to join us in celebrating the official adoption of Reverend Samuel Delevoe Park, Saturday, Aug. 1, 2015 from 10 to 11 a.m., at 2520 N.W. Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Chapter president JoeAnn Fletcher. For more info call Doris Love at (954) 325-9041.
Addressing HIV/AIDS in Florida among Black guys and Bisexual Men, Saturday, Aug. 1, 2015 from 12 noon to 5 p.m., at Pride Center Florida, 2040 N. Dixie Hwy., Wilton Manors, Fla. NAACP, FAMU Center for Healths Equity, National Black Gay Men’s Advocacy Coalition Equality Florida, Blacks AIDS Institute, BTAN Melbourne, and BTAN Broward County.
* Voter Registration DriveVoter Registration Drive
The ladies of Chi Psi Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, will host a Voter Registration Drive at the annual Back to School Family Health Fair, 8 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 1, 2015 at Lauderdale Manors Early Learning and Resource Center, 1400 N.W. 14 Court, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. For more info., visit us at www.chipsiomega.org or call (954)410-6673.
The City of Lauderdale Lakes will host a free, two-day Community Resources Fair, servicing senior citizens, Friday, Aug. 7, 2015 and children and families, Saturday Aug. 8, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Lauderdale Lakes Multipurpose Center, 4340 N.W. 36 St., Lauderdale Lakes, Fla. For more info call (954) 535-2804.
* Fair ExpoFair Expo
Join New Birth Employment Ministry, in partnership with Sullivan and Cogliano Training Center, for Job Resource Fair Expo, 2015, Friday, Aug. 7, 2015 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at New Birth Baptist Church Cathedral of Faith International, 2300 N.W. 135 St., Miami, Fla. Bishop Victor Curry, pastor. For more info including a complete list of employers and service providers, at (305) 691-3464.
Second Annual J’Mari & Friends Water Smart Show-case, Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015 from 1 to 5 p.m., at Joseph C. Carter Park (Sunland), 1450 W. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Our mission is to educate and provide important Water Safety information that helps keep kids safe in and around the water.
For more info call Tangeria Miller: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shirley Harold: Shhourofpower@yahoo.com
Bethel A.M.E. Church “Connecting Ordinary People To An EXTRAordinary God”, Rev. Eddy Moise Jr., pastor, Church Eight Annual Scholarship Golf Tournament, Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015, shotgun at 8:30 a.m., at Pompano Beach Municipal Golf Course, 1101 N. Federal Hwy., Pompano Beach, Fla. 18-Hole Championship Von Hagge & Delvin Designed Course.
* Meeting Meeting
Miami Northwestern Senior High School is planning a Sunday Service on Aug. 9, 2015. Planning meetings are weekly; Tuesdays at 6:30 at New Birth members are invited to participate. Contact Laura Gallon Jones at (305) 836-4829 for more info.
* West Regional Library August West Regional Library August
Children’s Programs, at 8601 W. Broward Blvd., Plantation, Fla. For additional info call (954) 765-1560.
· Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. – Bedtime Stories: Stories & crafts, all ages.
· Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. & 11 a.m. – Wiggleworm Wednesdays: Stories, finger play & songs, ages 24-40 months, with caregiver. Pre-registration required for each monthly series. August registration begins Aug. 3, at noon.
· Thursday at 11 a.m. – Storytime Fun: Stories & crafts ages 3-5. Caregivers may enter during the craft portion.
· Thursday at 4 p.m. – Kids Corner: Stories, songs, & crafts, ages 3-6. Caregiver may enter during the craft portions.
· Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015 at 10:15 a.m. – SCORE Small Business Workshop.
· Monday, Aug. 10, at 6 p.m. – El Club, Citizenship Class, Microsoft Word II.
· Tuesday, Aug. 11 at 12:30 p.m. – English Café.
· Wednesday, Aug. 12 at 10:30 a.m. – Computer Literacy II at 12 p.m. – Resume Assistance/Mock Interviews.
· Thursday, Aug. 13 at 10 a.m. – South Florida Career Fair. For more info call (954) 334-0772.
· Saturday, Aug. 8 & 22 at 11 a.m. – Chess Club. You are welcome to bring your chess board if you like. Raffle prize awarded at 12 noon, ages 5-18.
· Monday, Aug. 10 at 6 p.m. – Hot Food Hot Topics: Prizes, fun activities for parents and children, sample healthy crock-pot meals and a free book for participating families.
· Tuesday, Aug. 11 at 6:30 p.m. – Teen Book Chat: Read & discuss for ages 14-18 or entering High School *pre-registration required.
Back By Popular Demand “The Taste of Italy”, Friday, Aug. 14, 2015 from 5 to 7 p.m., at Midtown Art & Business Center, 1033 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. For more info call Melissa Rolle at (954) 410-5862 or Sheryl Dickey at (945) 486-0889.
Chi Psi Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated, Connection and Target IV: Environmental Ownership Committees are teaming up and hosting their third quarterly street cleanup, 7:30 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015; located at the intersection of Sample and Rock Island Road. Community participants are asked to come and join in this effort to rid the two-mile street of liter. Contact us at email@example.com or call (954) 410-6673 to volunteer.
The South Florida Tuskegee Alumni Club meeting, Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., ER Bradley Saloon, 104 Clematis St., West Palm Beach, Fla. For more info call (561) 833-3520.
Book bags will be given to elementary and middle school students Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Spoon’s grill, 3987 N.W. 19 St., Lauderdale Lakes, Fla. There is a limit of four (4) book bags per family. Parents/Guardians are to bring children with them to receive free book bags. For additional info call (954) 731-1044. This book bag give-away is sponsored by Spoon’s Grill in partnership with the Central Broward Kiwanis Foundation.
* Happenings at African-AmericanHappenings at African-American
African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lau-derale, Fla. Upcoming Desti-nation Friday events: Sept. 4 – Hawaii and Nov. 6 – the Bahamas. For more info call (954) 357-6210.
* AARLCC Seminar: So, you want to start a Business? Monday, Aug. 17, 2015 from 6 to 7:30 p.m., The seminar will cover the following:
· What it take to start a business
· Advantages and disadvantage of being an entrepreneur
· The Art of success
· Keys to selecting the “Right’ Business for you
An RSVP is requested by Darcia Scates, at (954) 357-6170. For more info call (954) 714-6607.
* African Fashion on Broward County’s Runway, Saturday, Aug. 29, 2015 from 12 noon to 8 p.m. The festival’s purpose is to promote African attire, and its mission is to unite African-American with their African Diaspora roots.
Maurice Symonette a/k/a Michael The Black Man will be making his second announcement about running for President in Broward County, Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 6:30 pm.
This Press Conference and Concert Rally will be held at Club Cinema at 3251 N. Federal Highway in Pompano Beach, FL. Other announcements will be Joe Kaufman for Congress, Eddie Jules for Broward County Sheriff & others.
Concert performers will be The Supremes, Temptations, Marvellettes, Raylettes, G man of Sugar Hill Gang, Lejuan Love, Boss Band and a Fashion Show.
Florida League of Cities Legislative Appreciation Awards and Home Rule Hero Awards,
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2015 networking reception at 5:30 p.m., dinner and program at 6:30 p.m., at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel, 1230 South Pine Island Road Plantation, Fla. Mayor Matt Surrency, newly elected 93rd President, Florida League of Cities, will make the presentations. To RSVP call (954) 357-7370 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org For more information, visit www.browardleague.org.
An evening of Worship and “Praise and Songs”, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2015 at 6 p.m., at Mount Hermon AME Church, 401 N.W. Seventh Terr., Fort Lauderdale. Fla., featuring international gospel recording artist Francine Ealey Murphy and the Voices of Praise of Mount Hermon AME Church. Rev. Henry E. Green, Jr.,pastor For contact info call (954) 383-0780.
* Senior PromSenior Prom
Broward Citizen for Seniors Community Service Organization proudly announces our Seventh Annual Senior Prom, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2015 from 6 to 11 p.m., at Bahia Mar Hotel, 801 Seabreeze Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Tickets on sale at:
· MODCO, (Mount Olive Development Corporation), Weekends, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., weekdays 1530 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
· Alan’s Clubhouse, Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 915 N.W. Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
· Martnick’s Pharmacy, Saturdays, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 6783 Stirling Rd., Davie, Fla. (in the Stirling Plaza the Shops at Stirling Place – between University Drive and Davie Road)
For more info call Cheryl Cooper, at (954) 303-4900 or Pearl Copeland at (954) 288-8702 or may email at email@example.com or visit us on website at BCFSINC.org
The Second Annual Peace & Feast in the Neighborhood Festival, originally scheduled to take place this Saturday, July 25, 2015 has been postponed because of the forecast for inclement weather. The event will now be held on Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015 from 3 p.m., to midnight at Dan Calloway Complex, 1420 W. 10 St., Riviera Beach, Fla. Admission and parking free in designated lots. For more info call (561) 983-1710 or visit www.youthrecreationassociation.org
The Governing Board of the Ascend Career Academy will hold a meeting, Thursday, Aug. 27, 2015 at 6 p.m., 5251 Coconut Creek Parkway, Margate, Fl.
The City of Miami Gardens welcomes Internationally Ac-claimed Artists Flavour and Ivelisse Santos at AMAC Benefit Concert. The AMAC committee will host its pre-Gala Concert and inaugural AMAC Night Gala on Aug. 28 and Aug. 28 in Miami Gardens, Friday, Aug. 28, 2015 at 11 p.m., at the Betty T. Ferguson Recreational Complex, 3000 N.W. 199 St., Miami Gardens, Fla. Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite atwww.AMACBenefitConcert.eventbrite.com. AMAC Night, a fundraising gala and award ceremony honoring local dignitaries, philanthropists, business and comm-unity leaders, Saturday, Aug. 29, from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m., at the Nine 0 One Event and Conference Center, 901 N.W. 183 St., Miami Gardens, Fla. Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/amac-night-fundraiser-tickets-16643552313?aff=es2.
Come out for a day of fun & Art, Sunday, Aug. 29, 2015 from 1 to 4 p.m., 915 N.W. Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (next to Bass Brothers). FREE Art Classes for youth 10 years of age and under. The Art Hub P.O. Box 453697 Fort Lauderdale Fla 33345. For more info call (954) 495-7363 firstname.lastname@example.org www.thearthub.org
Mt. Calvary Baptist Church to host fellowship & enjoy Men’s Day with The Brotherhood
of Mt. Calvary Baptist Church, Sunday, Aug. 30, 2015 at 11 a.m., at 800 N.W. Eight Ave. Pompano Beach, Fla. More details from Bro. Greg Walker or Rev. Anthony Burrell. For additional info call (954) 943-2422.