On Sunday, August 21, 2022, under the astute, sagacious leadership of Pastor Trae Green, Mt. Hermon AME Church Fort Lauderdale collaborated with several non- profit organizations in the surrounding communities to introduce church members and stakeholders to various programs, many of which the public may have been dubiously unaware, for qualified citizens.
Headlining the initiative was Broward Property Appraiser Marty Kiar, whose effervescent personality captivated the congregation with pertinent, life-changing information related to property ownership and myriad tax-savings exemptions that too many citizens in the 33311 neighborhoods aren’t utilizing effectively, if at all.
Elaine Stevens, The Homelady and a Certified Military Housing Specialist, stated succinctly:
The Black community in Broward County is one of the most vulnerable for Deed Fraud. Our homes are often paid off many years prior and represent our generational wealth. Marty Kiar, Broward County Property Appraiser, was at Mt. Hermon AME Church Fort Lauderdale on Non-profit Sunday and told the members how $12 million dollars of real estate was stolen by just one criminal couple.
Marty Kiar’s Fraud Task Force is aggressively saving our community the heartache of losing our homes. Letters have been sent by his office to homeowners to sign up for his Free Owners Alert Program (web.bcpa.net/owneralert), but the letters are often considered suspicious and so no action is taken.
Many of our senior homeowners are also experiencing memory loss. When they read the letter that allows the homeowners to sign up for Owner’s Alert on-line, they intend to tell their adult children or grand-children to help them. When the family members visit, the senior may forget to ask for help and the process falls through the cracks, leaving the property vulnerable and valuable property susceptible to theft through Deed Fraud.
If there is no computer available, Mr. Kiar says call his office – Broward County Property Appraiser (954)357-5579) – and a staff person will be glad to help the homeowner over the phone.
The following Nonprofit Organizations were re-presented at Mt. Hermon :
- Marty Kiar: Broward County Property Appraiser
- Ancel Pratt: Early Learning Coalition of Broward County (954) 377-2188 Largest subsidizer of early learning centers in Broward County.
- Adena Wilson: Guardian Ad Litem – Protects our children when they must be removed from their homes (954) 831-6214). They are seeking volunteers.
- William Andrews: A.D.A.M. ( Awesome Dads, Awesome Men) Fatherhood Mentoring Program with Community Based Connection on Sistrunk Blvd. (954) 908-5249
- Mairlyn Lightbourne-Oshodi: Institute of Wholistic Empowerment, Inc. (IWE) (786) 489-5429. They have the contract to help children and young adults with disabilities get the training and employment they need to live productive lives.
- Elaine Stevens, the Home Lady: Operation Veteran Homeownership, Inc. presented the Hometown Heroes Program with $100 million dollars for down payment and closing costs for Firefighters, Law Enforcement, Healthcare Professionals, Educators, Active Duty Military and Veterans to purchase a home and realize the American Dream of Home-ownership. (954) 579-6951.
Shirley Singleton was the Program Coordinator of the Even