Letter to Editor
Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
Excerpt from my book, What We Blacks Need To Do. Do you love your children enough to help them study this summer for their next grade level? As a retired master teacher, I suggest the following:
- Have your children look up the following words, tell what they mean in their own words and write a paragraph telling how it will affect them and their family. (A)-Disclaimer (B)- Gentrification (C)- Gerrymandering (D)- Tracking-in-school (E) Entrepreneur (F)- Unalienable Rights.
- You can get math worksheets for any grade FREE on the internet. They have an “answer key” at the bottom of the page (smile). Have your child practice math for 45 minutes per day.
- Have your child pick three books from the suggested reading list from their school and spend 45 minutes per day reading.
- Science will help them become a complete student. Watch the Science Channel together.
- The one item you will have to spend any money on is your local Black newspaper. It is my number one source for truthful information. A one-year subscription costs between $25 to $40.
There are other helpful resources in your community. The education department at most churches and some outreach centers have active, retired teachers and other qualified volunteers who can help your children, check their work and guide them in the right direction. Have a safe, enjoyable and progressive summer with your adoring family!!!
(If you agree-please make copies and share)
James J. Hankins-Wilmington, NC