When Joshua guided Israel across the Jordan River 12 stones were set as a memorial for generations to remember the history of Israel crossing on dry land. Listed are the history of some of our community churches when created and the first pastor:
- Mt Hermon A. M. E. Church – 1906 – Reverend J. H. Haines
- First Baptist Church Piney Grove – 1904 – Reverend B.F. Goodwin
- Mt Calvary Missionary Baptist – 1902 – 5 Clergy started the church – Reverends L.J. Ely, BJ Goodwin, NB Williams, BF James, and AJ Thomas
- New Mt Olive Baptist Church – 1918, followed by the name change – 1923 – Reverend HP Bragdon
- St. John United Methodist Church – 1904 – Reverend L. J Little
- Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church – 1946 – Reverend DD Miller
- St Christopher Episcopal Church – 1930’s – Father Q.E. Primo
- Ascension Peace Presbyterian Church – 1950’s – Reverend Scipio
In Next week’s edition we will explore other community churches beginnings and 1st pastors.
*** Biblical Facts*** The use of a pulpit dates back to the Old Testament times. Nehemiah 8:4 reads,” And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose..”
My favorite is Luke 5:1-11, speaks about, as the multitude followed Jesus, Peter’s boat was used as a (pulpit) for Jesus to preach the gospel. If you search the scriptures you will find other examples where pulpits were used.” Amen!
Be the first to comment