By James Hankins
“Some” parents never meet their children’s teachers, attend PTA meetings, monitor homework assignments, discuss report cards, or monitor what their children wear to school. They don’t know how many credits are needed to graduate or how many their children have. They also leave too many important future planning decisions up to the school system and their children.
NOTE: If your plan is for one-year plant rice, three years, plant trees. If your plan is for one hundred years, “educate” your children. Confucius.
- Buy only the school clothes you can afford for your children.
- Take your children to open house and meet all their teachers.
- Your children’s school day should be the main topic of conversation at the dinner table every school night.
- Put the dates of the interim reports and reports cards on your refrigerator.
- Plan to have two hours each school night where you and your household have a lockdown. Homework or family discussion only.
- Never give up on your children.
- Take the time and have your children teach you how to use the Internet.
- Buy a one-year subscription to your local Black Newspaper. Some cost less than $40 a year. This should be among the first reading materials you put in your home library.
- In order for you to help your high school child follow the right educational track, you must know the answers to the questions below. If you don’t know, have your child and the school counselor guide you.
- How many credits does your child need in each of the following subjects to graduate: English____? Math___? Science___? Social Studies____? Health & PE___? Second Language_____? Computer Skills____? Electives____?
- How many does he or she have? C. What is his or her grade point average? D. What is his or her best subject? E. What is his or her ranking in the class? F. What is the grade point average required for the State University system? Community College? Trade School?
10.Bullying is a serious problem in every school and grade level. It can be face to face by text or on the internet. You need to have a discussion with your children on a plan of action telling them what to do and who to tell when it happens.
- If your boy or girl turn 18 before or on November 6, 2018 they are now a man or lady. Teach them the 1st step in adulthood is research, registering and voting.
Meeting, learning the names and communicating with the five or more teachers that will teach your children this first semester is “priceless”. These are the most important people you must know, and your children must respect.
3 John 1:4 -I have no greater joy than to hear my children walk in