New Mt. Olive Baptist Church celebrates 99 years
By Byler Henry
November 25, 1918 was the day that eight people were given a vision from God to find a place to worship. They found it in Northwest Fort Lauderdale. Throughout the years many pastors have come to preach the word of Christ and have made an impact in some way. We thank the Lord for past preachers: Rev. G.T. Green, Rev., G.S. McClover, Rev. Walter Bryant, Rev. S.T. Stafford, Rev. Henry P. Bragdon, Rev. Charles H. Williams, Rev. O.W. Wells, Rev. R.H. Lee, Rev. George Edward Weaver and Dr. Mack King Carter. In 1923, under Reverend Henry P. Bragdon, the church’s name was changed to New Mt. Olive Baptist Church. They wanted to build a new church, so a small wooden structure was built on the corner of fourth street and ninth avenue in 1925. In 1929, the permanent building was completed, and the congregation moved into that building. The church now had an attendance of about 500 people. Rev. Bragdon stepped down in 1930.
In 1937, Rev. O.W. Wells took over to lead the congregation and under him the congregation grew along with the size of the church. March of 1962, Reverend George E. Weaver came to lead the congregation. The old church was given a new wing with eighteen classrooms and 200 additional seating spaces for the sanctuary. In 1981, Dr. Mack King Carter came along as a co-pastor and took over after Rev. Weaver’s retirement in 1982. The church grew more under the leadership of Dr. Mack King Carter. He stepped down after 27 years, and in 2009 the congregation selected our current pastor Rev. Marcus D. Davidson to lead us in Kingdome building; we thank the Lord for him as well.
By the grace of God Mt. Olive Baptist Church has been able to stand the test of time for 99 years, and the congregation has come faithfully, moving along with the sanctuary. The pastors that were chosen to lead have made their mark and may His will continue to be done.